I Met... TOM GRUMMETT and MIKE GUSTAVICH!

I Met... Tom Grummett and Mike Gustavich!

As much as I enjoyed meeting "Freddy Freeman," the real draw (pun intended) to Fan Expo Cleveland was an appearance by one of my all-time favorite comic book artists, the legendary Tom Grummett.  Grummett was one of the pencillers of the Superman titles during the "Death of Superman" storyline and its sequels in the 1990s.  His artwork appears on the standard cover of The Adventures of Superman #500, which was one of the things I asked him to autograph. The issue is cover dated Early June 1993 and it appeared on the newsstands on April 13, 1993, almost 30 years ago to the date!  It's a significant issue, not just because it's a #500, but it features the first appearances of characters who would become Steel (John Henry Irons) and Superboy (Conner Kent/Kon-El) as well as a Cyborg Superman and The Eradicator.  Grummett is also known for his work on The New Titans, Superboy, and Robin series, as well as other projects.  I ended up talking with him and his wife (?) for quite a bit.  He was working on a commission while we talked, so I got to see him in action (another pun.. sorry).  

I also met Mike Gustavich, who was a delight.  He is known as an inker, and I asked him to sign the two entries in my massive Who's Who omnibus that he drew: The Whip and The Crimson Avenger, two Golden Age characters.  He charged $1 per autograph.  I don't mind paying that rate!  Next time I will bring more stuff!  

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing... Dr. Eggslap

I Met... MICHAEL CHO!

I Met THE FLASH... and THE FLASH... and THE FLASH'S DAD!