I Met... TRINA ROBBINS!


I Met... Trina Robbins

For a number of years, Cartoon Crossroads Columbus (CXC) has been on my radar.  CXC is not a gathering of comic book nerds like a typical comic con.  It's like a gathering of the nerdiest of nerds within nerd-dom.   To me, at least, it has a very academic feel.  For example, one of the panels this year explored "how graduate students in comics studies experience and work toward representation within their research and the comics studies community."

When I saw that Trina Robbins was one of the special guests scheduled for this year's festival (the first in-person festival since 2019), I carved some time out of my schedule to attend.  

Ms. Robbins has an impressive comics resume.  

She has been writing books, comics, and graphic novels for over fifty years.

In 1969, she designed the costume for Vampirella for Frank Frazetta

Her strip "Sandy Comes Out" in Wimmen's Comix #1 featured the first "out" lesbian.    

In 2013, she was voted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame.  

And she was the first woman to draw a Wonder Woman comic book.  

I took my hardcover Who's Who Omnibus #1 with me.  This thing is huge.  It is 1320 pages long and weighs 7.75 pounds.  And it has a two-page spread of the Golden Age Wonder Woman that Ms. Robbins drew in the late 1980s.  So I took off the dust jacket for safe keeping and carried the massive book around with me in a backpack.   And I didn't even know for sure if Ms. Robbins was signing books.  She didn't have a timeslot at the signing tables.  But she was more than willing to sign at her own table.  And she was very friendly and gracious and impressed that I carried such a heavy book around.  

I'm tempted to return to the event tomorrow.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Met THE FLASH... and THE FLASH... and THE FLASH'S DAD!

Introducing... Dr. Eggslap

I Met... MICHAEL CHO!